Thursday, February 17, 2011

To Crochet or Not to Crochet...

Scripture of the Day: "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."-Luke 6:38, NIV



Happy Thankful Thursday everyone! What are you thankful for today? I am thankful for my MOPS group. Today is MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) day for me. I get to have some mommy time while the kiddos learn something new about Jesus and the Bible. I am so excited and I just love my church. Not only do they offer a lot for my children, but they have so much for adults to get involved in as well. They also have more senior adult programs than I have ever seen. Our pastor is awesome and he only preaches from the Bible and not from his own perspective.

Well, today we are going to talk a little bit about crocheting. I have been wanting to learn this skill for a while now. A friend of mine (who lives in another state) tried teaching me and I just couldn't get it at the time. Plus, we moved in the midst of the teaching :( So the other day while at Wally World I bought a book and DVD on how to teach yourself to crochet. I also bought some beautiful yarn and several different kinds of crocheting hooks. So now comes the hard part...I actually have to do this! Yikes! If anyone knows how to crochet that lives near me (only friends of mine would know this) please email me so we can get together so you can teach me in person. LOL! I am just practicing right now, but I can't even get the first "stitch" in! Hahaha! I tried and tried, but to no avail. But like the saying goes "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again". And so, I will keep it up.

I will post pictures from time to time on my progress. So far I have made the yarn into a yarn ball. This is actually harder than you think. My fingers gave out on my several times...lol! I love laughing at myself. I really want to learn this because I have heard it is relaxing and you can make nice gifts for your friends and loved ones and they know it is something from your heart that you labored over and spent time thinking about them while making it.

Here are some pictures of some things I would love to try to make someday:

I just think these hearts are so cute. You could use them on a blanket
or make a coin purse or even ornaments.


Little Christmas ornaments. These would make great gifts!


A beautiful pot holder or decoration for the kitchen.


Of course a baby hat!


A small Afghan for your lap.


I just love the detail of this one...isn't it pretty?!


This one could be squares to an Afghan or dish towels!


This one is so pretty. It's called a Danish heart!




Aren't all of the designs beautiful? One day I will be able to make some of these things. I hope you enjoy the rest of the week and weekend. On Friday and Saturday here it is supposed to be in the mid 70's!!! Time to go to the park!

God bless,


Kristy






















1 comment:

Shai "Lovejoy" Roberts said...

I'm thanful for soooo much! An awesome hubby, loving family,genuine friends..... and the gift of life growing inside of me! I'm so thankful that God loves me even when I don't love myself! Annnnnd I'm thankful for your blog! Goooooood Job! Xoxo