Sunday, March 6, 2011

Women and Submission...

Scripture of the day: "Wives, submit to your own husband, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." -Ephesians 5:22-24

Wow...what a verse! I know this speaks directly to my own heart. Let me start off by saying I am writing about this verse because I need it. I am a work in progress and I hope to become what God wants me to be.
When Hubby and I were engaged we went through pre-marital couseling with the pastor that married us. It was very interesting. We went over all of the biblical duties of a husband and a wife. Today I will just be discussing one specific duty that every wife is called to do in the bible: submit to your husband.
According to merriam-webster.com the definition for submit is: 1. to yield oneself to the authority or will of another: surrender, 2. to permit oneself to be subjected to something, 3. to defer to or consent to abide by the opinion or authority of another.
Many women think that submitting to your husband means that you have no opinion and you are inferior to men. God does not mean for it to be a bad thing. Men are made to be leaders and we as women were made to be their helpmeet. When we, as wives, submit to our husbands it shouldn't just be an outward appearance or display but an inward attitude as well. If our attitude is not right when we submit to our husbands then our hearts are probably not in the right place either.
God has a chain of command. First is God Himself, then Christ, then the husband, and then the wife. This does not mean that God thinks any less of us than He does a man. He puts more responsibility on the husband as the head of the house.
We are not inferior to our husbands, but equal. Just as Christ and God are equal yet Christ submits to God. When I married my husband we, as two individuals, became one in Christ. That means we are equal in God's eyes.
If a wife is not submissive to her husband many problems may arise. One of them is that of your spiritual life. For example, when you do not submit you are not obeying God's command. Another problem would be with her husband. He will not be able to lead as God intended him to do. There could also be difficulty with her children. They may be little, but they hear and see more than we think and they mimick our actions toward others. Lastly, there could be problems with herself.
So ladies, don't see submission as a negative action and attitude. Delight in the word of God and obey His command with a joyful heart. God will reward you for it, maybe not here on earth, but your rewards in heaven will be great. Your husband will be happier, as well as your children and also yourself. Just think about this verse and meditate on it. Pray that God would give you a submissive heart toward your husband (I know I am praying for that all the time).

Here is a song and video that has inspired my husband and I:

Sanctus Real- Lead Me


I hope you enjoy your Sunday...I am on my way to a baby shower to honor my big sister and her little bundle of joy due at the end of March. It is a girl!!


God Bless,


Kristy


Disclaimer: I got some of the ideas discussed here from different sermons I have heard over the years. These are my own words and opinions.

No comments: