Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Quilt

Scripture of the day: "My grace is sufficient for you." -2 Corinthians 12:9b








This quilt is so special to me. That's why I am so thankful for it. I just finished putting it together on Tuesday afternoon. My wonderful mother-in-law gave me the quilt top for my birthday a couple of years ago. With Hubby and I moving and having a baby last year it was put aside for other projects. But about two months ago I got it back out and my dear, sweet mother-in-law (aka "Nanny") has been showing me how to do it. She even bought all of the buttons for it and helped me with each step. I have so enjoyed this project. I actually have several ideas to start new quilts. I want to do another small lap quilt for myself (I already have the material for it), some quilted "Redskins" pillows for Hubby, and some small quilts for my boys for their beds. I would eventually like to make my nieces and nephews one also.

I didn't realize how much I love to sew. It is so rewarding. I have never really sewn anything before. Much of the sewing for this quilt was done by hand (the parts I did anyway). It was a labor of love and I really had fun doing it. Sewing is actually very relaxing and helped me to be more at peace. Not many people sew anymore and I think it's a shame. We need to teach our daughters (and sons) the basics of sewing. It is easy and is very useful. People used to sew everything themselves in the "old days". We rely too much on technology. We all need to learn basic things such as sewing, cooking, gardening, canning, etc.

This was my first of many future quilts. I was challenged and had to put a lot of work into it. But the outcome is so wonderful. You feel a sense of accomplishment when you do something by hand.

So my challenge to you is to turn off your TV, turn off the computer and learn a useful skill that you've always wondered about. Start small. Maybe you've always wanted to learn to cook. There are plenty of resources out there to help you along the way. Go to the library and get some books. Maybe ask a friend, neighbor, or your dear, sweet mother-in-law to show you their favorite recipe. Challenge yourself...make yourself think! It is so worth it in the end. Now I have a skill (and a quilt) to pass on to my children and my children's children.


God Bless,


Kristy


*A special thank you to "Nanny" for helping me and showing me this wonderful skill. It will be put to use in the future many times over*



No comments: