Thursday, April 7, 2011

Kindred Spirits

Scripture of the day: "Jesus answered and said to them, 'This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom sent Me.'" -John 6:29





If you've ever read the book or watched the movie Anne of Green Gables you will know Anne searched her whole young life for a kindred spirit. Someone who would be her friend, be kind to her; a "bosom friend" (an intimate friend). She found one in Diana Barry. They became life-long friends. By the way, if you've never seen the movie or read the book I highly recommend them both.


Today I am thankful for my friends. I do not have many, but the ones I do have are very close. I have Hubby, of course, and my family. I also have one very close, special friend (I will be talking about Mrs. A later in the post). The bible is not silent when it comes to the subject of friendship. In fact, the word "friend" is mentioned approximately ninety times in the bible. I would say that God wants us to have friends, be friendly, and we were made to have this type of relationship with others. Jesus is our truest friend. He is always listening and gives the best advice because it comes from the bible (and He is the Author!).

A true friend will stand by you, even in times of trouble. Those who flee when you have a problem or are going through something (whether spiritual, physical, or mental) are not really true friends. Although these people may be friendly acquaintances, a true friend will always lend a listening ear, heartfelt advice (speaking the truth in LOVE), and a hug, if needed. True friendship is one of life's greatest gifts. Friends bring out the best in us. They lift us up when we are down.

  • " Friendship without self interest is one of the rare and beautiful things in life." -James Francis Byrnes
I love this quote. I actually put this as my Facebook status on Monday. If you are looking for something in a friendship (i.e. "what can I gain and receive?") other than your friends best interests, I don't think that is a wise decision. If Jesus had that same thinking, He wouldn't have sacrificed Himself on the cross for us. He would have called ten thousand angels down to take His place. Instead, He saw that we needed Him, so He did what He knew He was called to do.

  • "My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me." -Henry Ford
I already discussed this sort of thing above.

  • "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Have you ever had someone say bad things about you, spread rumors, just act plain mean to you? Well, in the end all those  words will be lost. Your friends who stayed with you til the end will be remembered.

Here are a couple of bible verses on the subject:
  • "Some friendships do not last, but some friends are more loyal than brothers." -Proverbs 18:24, GNT
  • "A friend loves at all times..." -Proverbs 17:17a
Just google "bible verses about friends" and many more verses will come up. God even called Abraham His friend in Genesis. We are friends to God. I have a wonderful friendship with Hubby. We share everything together. He has wiped many tears, held my hand through tough times, and we've had so many good times together. I also have my mom and sister (who are so wonderful and loving as well). But my best friend who is not a family member is Mrs. A. She and I have been through so much together. If I need anything at all, she is there. We call each other for prayer requests, we take bible studies together, and we meet about once a month to "vent". Anything we need to talk about stays between the two of us. It's not to complain and we never speak ill of our husbands. We are just there for support for each other because we know we can trust one another with anything; whether it be joyous news or tragic news. I know she won't judge me, or look at me differently. She takes me for who I am...flaws and all...because we have a bond and a love for each other that God has made in our hearts.

Do you have a friend like that? If so, how wonderful that God has blessed you with her/him! If not, seek God and pray for a friend whom you can call a "true friend".


God Bless,


Kristy

No comments: