Thursday, May 26, 2011

Yard Sales!!!

Scripture of the day: "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." -Philippians 4:13






I LOVE yard sales! It is a known fact in my family. I mean, digging through someone else's things to find a wonderful treasure at a great price. It doesn't get much better than that! Alas, yard sale season is upon us once more. I have an ongoing list of things I look for when I go. It's not much, just decorations for my house and such. I just love when I find something that will go perfectly with something else I already have.



Here are a few tips I have found helpful when yard sale shopping:
  1. Obviously...bring cash. Most people do not accept checks anyway. Plus, you have a budget and once the money is gone...it's time to call it quits!
  2. Have a mental list (or written one) of things you are looking for. If you don't have a list then you tend to buy more than you need (and then you will be having a yard sale).
  3. When you find something you like ask yourself: "Do I have a place for it?", "Do I really need it?", and "Is it a great price?".
  4. The night before, check the newspaper and craigslist for the locations of the sales (sometimes people even list some of the items to be sold, this can weed out unnecessary trips).
  5. Route your course with the addresses you found in the paper so you aren't using more gas than needed and you can go to more than one sale in an area (you may find unadvertised ones while out).
  6. Don't feel bad if you get to a sale and don't find anything you need/want. Someone else will find something there. People don't mind, you can't like everything everyone has (we all have different tastes).
  7. Go with a friend or family member. It is much more fun and you can get a second opinion about things. You can have someone to chat with and maybe grab lunch with afterwards :)
  8. If you see something that you love but the price seems a bit high, ask if they will lower the price a little. They are trying to get rid of it so they will probably say yes, unless you offer way too little.
  9. Talk to the yard sale sellers. Be kind and friendly. That way if you do find some gems in their yard you are less likely to be rejected if you offer less.
  10. Look things over thoroughly before purchasing. You cannot return it if you get home and find a huge stain, rip, crack, dent, or smudge. If you do find something wrong with it, but know you can easily repair it (like a busted seam) offer less b/c of the defect.


I hope you enjoy this yard sale season! I know I will!

Happy buying!


God bless,


Kristy

No comments: