Friday, August 12, 2011

Desiring God


I received the DVD Bible series Desiring God by John Piper to review recently. I actually thought I was getting the book but was pleasantly surprised when it came in DVD form. I have never done a DVD review before so I jumped right in with much enthusiasm.

John Piper wrote a book called Desiring God and this is the small group bible study version. It is broken down into 10 sessions that are between 20 and 30 minutes long each. He is the Pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota (where my husband spent the first few years of his life). You can read more about him at desiringGod.org.

This DVD bible study series is recorded in a lecture-style room. John Piper is conducting the bible study personally in a lecture-style manner. I personally do not concentrate well with this type of bible study. He addresses the audience several times referring to a handout that they are following along in and taking notes. I probably would have been able to follow along better had I been provided with the handout he was referring to. He had an overhead projector with notes on it as well. He seemed very genuine and passionate about lecture.

The bible study focused on "Christian Hedonism". He said that we should pursue our joy even as Christians. We must do so in a different way than the world because we are born again and should have different ideas of what joy and happiness are to us. We are to pursue our "quest for happiness". He asked many questions as to what we delight ourselves in besides God? Is it the TV, fame, fortune, popularity? He said our ultimate goal should be to pursue God to be happy.

Pastor John Piper has put a lot of work into this bible study. I would recommend it for young adults and new Christians. I would also recommend it for anyone who has lost their joy in Christ.


God Bless,


Kristy

*I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review*

No comments: