Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dry As Rain By: Gina Holmes




I just finished reading Gina Holmes' second published book Dry As Rain. I will be honest and say I would not have chosen this book for myself but it was in the Christian fiction section of the review titles to choose from. So I decided to give it a try and see how it was. Gina Holmes is from Southern Virginia where she lives with her husband and children. She has written many articles and short stories in the past few years. You can find out more about her by visiting www.ginaholmes.com or www.noveljourney.blogspot.com (her personal blog).

Gina Holmes has a different style of writing than I am used to reading. The book was written in the first person. That person being a man named Eric Yoshida. I found it hard to relate to him or any of the other characters in the novel. I really had high hopes for reading this book because her first book, Crossing Oceans, got such great reviews. The book was not what I expected to say the least.

So here is a little bit of background to the book. It's about a man in his forties (Eric Yoshida) who is unhappy with his marriage to Kyra so he decides to have an affair with a younger woman from his office. This is after 20 years of marriage and they have a 19 year old son. Their son is unhappy with his life as well because he gets kicked out of the navy. The beginning of the book was very hard to read due to the nature of the affair Eric was having and the circumstances surrounding his wife's accident. I kept reading the novel with the hopes of a good ending because it was in the faith-based novel section.

There is very little mention of God (at least the loving Savior that I know personally). The relationships represented in the book really have nothing much to do with God and prayer and leaning on Him in times of trouble. I really looked for the redemption part of the book only to find it in the very last chapter of the book. There was a lot of talk about affairs and divorce. If you like soap operas and dramas then this is the book for you. I do believe that Gina Holmes really wanted to portray a real-life couple going through troubled times in their marriage. I mean who hasn't had troubled times? This was definitely different from anything I have ever read.

It wasn't all negativity because Eric does become closer to his wife and son in the end of the book. You just have to get past all of the arguing and fighting between the married couple. The middle of the book was interesting as well but I don't want to give too much of the book away. This is an emotionally dramatic book about forgiveness and redemption for one married couple on the brink of divorce. It is a very deep book that goes beyond the normal circumstances of married couples and digs deep into the heart of Eric Yoshida. It was easy to read as I read it in a week during my free time.


God Bless,


Kristy

*This book was given to me to review by Tyndale House Publishing and the opinions expressed here are solely my own*

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Thanks for the review ;) And thank you for the comment on my blog,I appreciate it :)