Monday, September 26, 2011

Love Your Friends

{Homemaking Monday}

Scripture of the day: "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God." -1 John 4:7

Devotion of the week:
I love having friends. I don't have many close friends, but the ones I do have are very good ones. As I have gotten older I have had more discernment with choosing friends. In high school you want everyone to like you. You want to be popular and fit in. In college, you tend to just hang out with the people you have classes with. Sometimes you have things in common. Sometimes those friendships last a lifetime. When you get married you have a whole different set of friends (some that you haven't spoken to since high school or college). For me, I met my true friends after I got married. My friend "Mrs. A." was a person I could not picture myself being friends with when I first met her at my job (8 years ago). All it took was to invite her to church a few times and she and I have been close ever since. I love her so much and we can talk about anything. We have cried together and laughed (way more than cry). I also have a lifetime friend from when we lived in NC. Her name is "Mrs. K." I met her and her husband at church and we became close because we did things as couples. We went out to eat and had movie nights. It is so nice to have special friends like them. I would consider myself a "true blue friend". No matter what, I will be there for you. When one of my friends is hurting, I tend to take on that hurt like it is my own. I don't want to be someone's friend only in the good times. You know who your real friends are when you go through trials. Whoever is there for you is a real friend. The people who flee from you when times get tough are not true friends. I have had this happen to me more than I would like to admit. Everyone likes you and want to hang out when things are going great. But the moment trouble stirs in your life there is no one to be found. It is almost as if they think what is going on in your life is catching. "I don't want it to happen to me so I will just stay out of it."

It's kinda like our relationship with God. We only want Him around when times are good. He is our Friend when things are going great. But the moment we have problems or something doesn't go our way we blame Him. We question God and curse Him. He is our Savior, our Love, our Friend. Just like God never leaves our side and never stops loving us, we should treat our friends the same way. Be there for them in the good and bad times. Celebrate with them, cry with them, laugh with them, comfort them.

This week's menu:
*The week's theme is Italian*
  • Monday- eat out with some friends
  • Tuesday- Italian chicken and potatoes in the crockpot with biscuits
  • Wednesday- lasagna with salad and french bread
  • Thursday- sun-dried tomato Alfredo with fettuccine and chicken
  • Friday- leftovers
  • Saturday- rotini with cream sauce and ground beef with salad
  • Sunday- leftovers
Recipe of the week:
  • Italian chicken and potatoes in the crockpot
What you will need:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or mix basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, and garlic powder to equal same)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
4 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges

Instructions:
Place chicken in bottom of Crock Pot. Sprinkle with half of the Italian dressing, spices, and the grated cheese. Put the potatoes on top or around the chicken. Sprinkle with the rest of the dressing, spices, and cheese.
Cook on low for about 6-8 hours, or until the chicken is done and potatoes are tender.

Picture of the week:

My new dress...$6 @ the Good Will store!!


Activities for the week:
  • Monday- go out to eat with friends
  • Tuesday- stay home with kids and clean
  • Wednesday- go see "Nanny and Poppy" and family
  • Thursday- stay home with the kids and clean
  • Friday- go to a concert with my friend "Mrs. A." It is an early birthday gift to me :) Thank You!
  • Saturday- Crab Carnival in a local small town with the kids and Hubby
  • Sunday- church and relaxation
Blog of the week:
This is another blog by Sandra over at Diary Of A Stay At Home Mom. She is an awesome cook. Please check it out!

God Bless,

Kristy

*P.S. Look for 2 book reviews coming this week! They are really good :)

No comments: