Sunday, November 6, 2011

Gettin' Up Early

A few weeks ago at my church, our Pastor was preaching and made a statement about getting up early to read your Bible and pray. He said, not in these exact words, that if we don't do it first thing then it tends to not get done. I found this to be so true in my life. I always had good intentions of reading my Bible and praying. I would say to myself, "As soon as I put the kids down for a nap I will pray and read" or "As soon as this or that is done". It never happened for me. There was always laundry to fold, dishes to wash, or I just got distracted because I was exhausted and wanted a break. I found myself being disconnected from God. I couldn't hear Him or feel Him close to me. I was craving time with Him, but I was not putting Him first.

So, I decided after our Pastors words on this subject, I would start getting up when Hubby gets up. Well, only one problem. He gets up at 5:30am!!! Way too early for me. I am NOT a morning person. But I made a commitment to God and I was going to stick to it. I have done pretty good so far. I have read through the entire book of Proverbs. That was not too hard because I just read the chapter according to what day it is. If it's November 5th I read Proverbs chapter 5. I have also been reading a chapter a day of the Psalms. Those two books will be read everyday by me, no matter what. I have also chosen to read 1-2 chapters of other books in the Bible. I decided to start with Job. I have never read through Job before and wanted to know his story. It is very interesting and it is helping me with my walk with God. Job had everything taken away from him, yet he did not curse God. He actually fell on his face and praised God right after he found out all of the bad things that had happened to him and his family.

I am not sure what book in the Bible I will read next. Maybe one of the Gospel's. Maybe something else. I find myself craving time with God even more now that I have made God my first priority everyday. I wake up so tired and most mornings I find myself saying, "Well I can skip today...who will know?" God will know, that's who. I want to put Him first. By the time I get up and get my cup of coffee and sit with my Bible in my hand, I am in pure bliss. If I do skip a day, which I will admit has happened 2 times since I started this, the whole day is turned upside down. I feel like something is missing all day. I feel like I have forgotten something all day. I did forget something...God. He doesn't like to be forgotten. I don't like forgetting Him. I want to keep my commitments. Especially the ones I have with God.

The Proverbs and Psalms have taught me so much about God's heart and what He expects of me. They have helped me in many circumstances over the past few weeks. I am able to refer to a verse I read that morning or one that I read the week before. It is so amazing what you can actually learn and glean from the Bible if you are willing to put in the time and effort to read it. It is God's love letter to us. The whole Bible is filled with God's love for us. Please, if you do nothing else with your day, take the time to read just one chapter a day from your Bible. I don't expect to read my Bible in one year. I just cannot do that. But, if you want to then go for it. If you know you can't, like me, then don't feel bad about it. Read what you can and do your best. That is all God wants from us. He wants to see us give an effort and sacrifice our time for Him. You will NOT regret getting up early. You will NOT regret skipping some other activity to seek Him and pray quietly.

I challenge you to start reading one chapter per day of your Bible. See what awesome and amazing things God has in store for you. Feel the love He has for you.


God Bless,


Kristy

No comments: