Saturday, February 18, 2012

{The Golden Rule}


I know you have heard this old saying. If not, well there is a first time for everything. I grew up hearing this from vairous people in my life. I grew up in a home, however, that was very loud (with 3 brothers and 2 sisters), opinionated, and strict. I also grew up in a home that was split up. I have 1 step brother, 1 half sister, 1 step sister (but my mom adopted her), and 2 half brothers. When Hubby and I were dating he was so confused. I would just say they are all my brothers and sisters (because they were and still are). Needless to say, there was a lot of arguing and shouting amongst us siblings. Not all siblings have this situation, but we did. It wasn't always like this, but there were crazy moments. My poor parents had to listen to it all.


We really had to treat each other the way we wanted them to treat us. I have so many fond memories of my siblings. I was 14 when my twin brothers were born and remember thinking they were the cutest babies I had ever seen. Then, my own children were born and blew them out of the water. But, we mommy's feel that way about our own children. I love my brothers and sisters dearly. I have a huge support system. I always feel sorry for someone who tells me they are an only child or they only have 1 sibling. My husband has one sister. She is amazing, but there is an age difference between them. They didn't grow up together because she was older than him. Plus, the gender difference. But, no matter what they have each other's back. They share a faith that is unshakeable. I love having my family and knowing they have my back.


When I got married I inherited even more family. They are great people. God knew I needed them because they got Hubby and I to go back to church together and we eventually all got baptized together. It was so wonderful.


I have children of my own now. My two boys are close in age and best friends. They play all day together and giggle and I LOVE it! I am trying to instill in them the "Golden Rule". We have many other rules but this one is pretty important. If Bear isn't sharing his toys or snack with Ducky I let him know that it is wrong. I ask him what he would do if Ducky didn't share with him. Bear usually says he would be sad. I then say to him, how do you think Ducky feels right now when you aren't sharing? It makes him think about his actions and 9 times out of 10 he will share. Bear is pretty "strong-willed" so sometimes it takes a stern talking to and perhaps some consequences, but he is getting better. Ducky sees his behavior and copies everything Bear does. Even the bad stuff. But, Ducky has a different personality. He is always trying to be fair. If Ducky gets a "prize" for good behavior, he immediately asks for a "prize" for his big brother. He even gets upset if I tell him no. He has such a big heart. Bear has started doing the same thing as he sees Ducky sharing more.


I truly believe that we should treat everyone the way we want to be treated. I don't know a single person who wants to be judged, neglected, yelled at, scrutinized, or any other negative behavior. I want to be loved, respected, treated with kindness, and taken care of. I hope that is how people see me. I am a care-giver at heart. I love to love people. I can be opinionated and harsh sometimes. But, I am a work in progress. I always say that when I am perfect I won't be needed here on earth anymore and I will be in Heaven. I mess up all the time and will continue to do so until the day I die. But, I am trying to have more of the "fruits of the spirit" in my personality. If you don't know what those are, here is the verse to go with it:






I have found that if you treat others with the "fruits of the spirit", you will recieve the same treatment. This is my goal for my children everyday. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is a goal. I pray everyday for my children to have good attitudes and a lot of that depends on my attitude for that day. I have to treat my children with the same "Golden Rule". If I yell and scream at them all day, I can expect nothing less from them. So, my point is treat others how you want to be treated everyday no matter what.


God Bless,


Kristy

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wonderful, heartfelt post, Kristy. I love your idea about saying to the kids: "How would you feel if he wasn't here?" I will try that one tomorrow when it comes up (I am sure it will!)

We are all works in progress. Won't it be great when we get to heaven and everyone is super NICE!?

I, too, find that when you treat others as you wish to be treated, you wind up finding that there are lots of really great people in the world...people just seem to be nicer the nicer you are, and if they aren't feeling nice and you are nice, maybe they will wind up feeling more like being nice for the next person. That's a lot of nice!!

You are doing a fantastic job. I think this is my favorite post of yours so far (and not just 'cause you were so sweet to me in it).

Blessings to all of you,

Heather