Thursday, June 7, 2012

{The Best Job I've Ever Had!}




I am taking a moment on my blog and talking about being a mommy. I love my job. I saw a cartoon the other day on FB and it was funny. The mom is looking crazy and scatter-brained and says "I heard a statistic that a stay at home mom would make on average $130,000 a year if she were paid for her job." The next little slide of the cartoon showed the mom hugging her children and thinking "I wouldn't take the pay cut." How true is this? No job, no amount of money could compare to being payed in kisses and hugs.

When I was pregnant with Bear someone gave me the best advice I have ever heard. They said that time is the best thing you can ever give to your children. I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I have seen it first-hand with my own children. I am with them 95% of the time. When I am away from them, I miss them, wonder what they are doing, imagine the hugs and kisses I will get upon my return.

I recently heard a story of a young woman who is pregnant. She has been telling everyone that her new baby will not change her lifestyle. She is saying that her new baby will do what she wants and sleep through the night after a few weeks. She even said she doesn't get these people whose lives revolve around their children and that her baby will revolve around her. WE MAKE PLANS AND GOD JUST LAUGHS!






It made me laugh at first. She is a first-time mom. When I was a first-time mom, what did I know? I made plans to have a perfect baby who never spit up, slept through the night like an angel, never sassed me, always said "yes ma'am and yes sir", ate all of his vegetables, and the list goes on. Ha! Bear is a very picky eater to begin with. We have a rule that he must eat as many bites as his age (i.e. since he is 3 he must eat 3 bites of something before he is finished with it). It works pretty well so far. He did sleep through the night by 4 months old. Ducky however didn't sleep through the night til he was 10 months old and that was off and on.

You see this woman is really clueless. I don't blame her for having such high hopes and expectations. I do think she needs to be realistic. Why is she having a baby if she doesn't want to change her lifestyle for the better? Shouldn't we all want to be better people for our children's sake? I have been asking myself these questions the past couple of days. I actually got a little angry at this woman. My baby died a few months ago (12 weeks gestation). Why is it that she gets to keep her baby and send it to daycare everyday (she does have a choice of staying home) and have someone else raise her child? I am a stay at home mom devoted to my children and their well-being. Does that make me a better person? Not by a long shot.

My anger turned into sadness. I am sad for this baby. She will not know her parents. She will long for their love and attention and according to this soon-to-be-mommy, she isn't going to change her plans for life for her baby. It is the saddest thing I have ever heard in my life. I would not trade paid vacations, concerts, going out with my friends, etc. for even 1 second with my children. It may seem like I am just ranting (and maybe I am) but I needed to get this off my chest. How can a mother be so selfish and she hasn't even met her little one yet? How can she want to be away from her and keep up he busy lifestyle?

I am not judging her...I am sad for her. She is going to miss out on being a great mommy to her baby. Being a mommy is one of God's greatest inventions. You are your child's first love. Your baby is the only person who has ever heard your heartbeat from the inside. God says that children are a blessing. Are we throwing away that blessing if we don't want to make positive changes in our lives and spend time with our children?

This young woman is going to miss so much because of her closed mind toward her new baby. I decided that I would sit back and watch her from a distance. If she needs help, I am here. But I do believe that God has a great sense of humor. We tend to have children with our same personalities (I know I do anyway). God is a great God, but he isn't boring. I think He gives us challenges with our children to learn from them. We don't have it all together. We don't have all the answers, but when we lean on God and His plans for us we can have peace.

I'm not saying I am the greatest mommy ever. I am saying that I am willing to try to be a great mommy to my own children. I believe that is what God has called me to do.



Recently, I had a high school classmate lose her 8 year old daughter from an asthma attack. What a tragic and awful event. She was a great mommy and was very close to her daughter. Please keep her in your prayers. Being a mommy is tough sometimes, especially when we lose one or one gets ill. I cannot imagine her pain. I do know that her little girl is in Heaven right now with Jesus. I did not know her, but I know God and He is a merciful God, a loving God, a God who holds us when we are broken. I pray that God will hold my classmate tighter than ever.

No comments: