Monday, May 20, 2013

"The Blessings of Being a Wife" Part 1


Almost 9 years ago (next month) I married my best friend. I was so young and had no idea of the blessings that would come from being married to such a wonderful gift from God. I have to say, though, that I am truly the one who is blessed by this man. He is the hardest working man I have ever met. He is the kindest, gentlest, sweetest man. He loves me and all of my flaws. He never complains and is very content with the life we have. He looks up to his dad (who is a great man as well) and asks for his advice on important issues. He loves his mother and appreciates all she did for his family growing up. He has blessed my life so much that I cannot even begin to describe it in words.

"He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord." -Proverbs 18:22

This verse is one of my favorites. A wife is a good thing. It is not a burden or something to look down upon. I know a lot of women have hard marriages. Their husband is never home, lazy, disconnected, or maybe even abusive. Abuse is NEVER ok. Seek help in this situation. Wives should always pray for their husbands. I pray for my husband daily. 




Being a "good wife" means (to me): 
praying for my husband 
accepting his flaws 
uplifting him 
respecting him (always) 
putting his needs above my own
keeping our home comfortable for him (not just me)
not speaking badly about him (even to my mother)

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;  does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;  bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails." -1 Corinthians 13:4-8

I love this Bible verse because it describes God's love for us. God is our example in life. The way He loves us is the way we should love others. This applies, especially, to the way I love my husband. So, I am going to use this verse but think of it, instead, as how I should treat my husband and marriage.

I must "suffer long" (be patient) and be kind. I am probably one of the most impatient people on earth. I have gotten better over the years. I must not envy someone else's marriage. Every marriage has problems. It is in the way you handle them that is the difference. Don't let your husband's reputation be tainted by YOUR words. Build him up to others even when you don't feel like it. Remember why you fell in love with him. Nor should I boast about having a great marriage or husband. You never know who you might be talking to. Maybe the person just went through a divorce, lost her husband, is abused, etc. Take others into consideration. 


I should not be rude toward my husband. If he says or does something I don't like, that does not give me the right to disrespect him or be rude to him. It takes effort and hard work to get this part right. I should never be selfish. When I think about this part, I think about our home and how I can make it more welcoming to him. Over the years I have come to love the "primitive" look for my house. My husband hates it. I could be selfish and say "I am here most of the time and I buy the decorations so it's what I want". Instead, we compromise. I have a few primitive pieces here and there mixed in with what my husband likes. Yes, we have Redskins stuff throughout the house. No, I don't like it. But, if I want to be a "good wife" I must make it HIS home as well. After all, he pays the bills. LOL!


The next part about not being provoked is very hard for me. My husband says I am a firecracker. That is NOT a good thing. My fuse is so short. I am so easily provoked into a fight with him. Also, not a good thing. I am working on this. I am not to rejoice in evil things but only in the truth. 


Being a wife is such a blessing to me because I get to take care of my husband every day. I get to love him and cherish him. I get to cook his dinner and take care of our home and children. God has been so good to me. I am blessed because my husband loves me. He lets me know by telling me daily. But, he also shows me his love. He really likes to keep busy by doing things around the house. He does dishes, laundry, and even mops the floors. He is what I like to call a "clean freak". I, on the other hand, am not. The dishes in the sink don't bother me. The laundry doesn't bother me. But, since it bothers him I try to keep a tidy home. 





I mean, just look at him. How can you not love that man!? He is so wonderful and such a great daddy to our boys as well. 








I love being a wife. It is the best thing I have ever done along with being a mother to 3 sweet little boys. Which leads into my next blog post in the series "The Blessings of Motherhood". That will be next week. Please visit me again to check it out. 

Remember to pray for your husband every single day. He needs it. 


Blessings,


Kristy

1 comment:

Kasey Norton said...

This was the sweetest post...I hope your husband got to see it! You are so right about the need to be praying for our men. I needed the reminder--thank you! Thanks so much also for linking up with me last week at Walking Redeemed!