Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Refreshed and Encouraged!

"Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." -Proverbs 22:6


This past weekend I attended the HEAV convention. It is THE homeschool convention in Virginia and it was a blast! I have been feeling very down on myself lately about homeschooling. Not necessarily doing the homeschooling but more of a feeling of guilt. Guilt that the world has put upon my shoulders to carry around. People often try to make you feel guilty for doing what God has called you to do not knowing your situation or circumstances. I just wanted to encourage anyone who is feeling this way by loved ones, family, friends, even people at your church. Please know that if you are doing what God has called you to do, you will be blessed for it. If you read my blog often you will know that I was doing a series on here called "The Blessings of...". I started off with "Being a Wife" and "Motherhood". My next post was to be about "Homeschooling". After a few people discouraged me in my homeschooling journey I prayed about whether or not to write the blog post. I want to always be considerate of others and not make anyone feel judged. I am truly blessed to be able to homeschool my children. Any information I share with people is due to my own excitement and joy of homeschooling. God made is very clear that I was to wait for His timing. 

I went to the HEAV and had an amazing time. I met some wonderful people and really felt God working in my life. I even saw a few people I know there and it brought joy to my heart that others are considering taking this journey as well. I know feel as though the Lord has given me a new light on the situation. I am on fire about homeschooling my children. I bought my curriculum this past weekend and I can't wait to get started. My children and K and Pre-K. They are very excited as well. I am going to take pictures of my classroom and post them here for you all to see where we do our work. We don't stay in there all day. Actually, I use it mostly for storage and read-aloud time. My desk is in there and book cases filled with my wonderful treasures. Starting in the fall, I will be doing a weekly wrap-up of what we did that week. I will be documenting our homeschooling journey on my blog and hope to encourage someone who is considering it. 

I have to say that I peruse many homeschooling blogs each week looking for ideas, encouragement, freebies, advice, etc. I have my favorites and I will be sharing those as I go along as well. I want to say to anyone who is considering homeschooling to pray about it and talk with your husband/wife about it first. If this is something you feel that God is calling you to do, that's when you do a lot of research. Ask questions, join a group (either online or in person), talk to people at church. Or, like me, you have a great SIL that has been homeschooling for like 16 years and knows a lot about a lot. I know I have asked to hundreds of questions. She always answers them and is willing to share her "stuff" with me. 

I would also like to insert a comment here as well to those who think homeschooling is bad or something to be ashamed of. I have done my research, I have asked tons of questions, I have prayed (a lot), and spoken to my husband about this decision. It was not an easy one to come by. I used to be just like that. I thought homeschoolers were weird, unsocialized, crazy people. Well, now I'm one of them! LOL! Please be careful with your words. I have been hurt by many people during this time of my life and words cannot be taken back. Of course, I have forgiven these people and hope they forgive me for being over-zealous about my life. I do not wish to boast but to help others understand what it means to me. If you truly know my heart, you know that everything I say about homeschooling is because I am very eager to teach my children. 

So, I am going to write my blog post "The Blessings of Homeschooling" and ignore and pray for any naysayers that come my way. There will be those kind of people in life no matter what choices you make. Please be on the lookout for the post and many more to come. I hope and pray that God will use this blog for His glory and not my own. He has brought me to this point in my life and I want to only please Him. 


Blessings,


Kristy

No comments: