Thursday, April 17, 2014

Homemaking with Boys



"Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
'Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.'"
Proverbs 31:28-29

Keeping a home is a hard job. Keeping a home with very active little boys is a whole different story. They want to help all the time. We have chores that they do each day. For instance, they feed and water the dog and take her out to do her business. They tidy their room and make their beds. They also help me with the baby when I need to do the dishes or make dinner. One of their responsibilities also is to keep the school room clean and tidy and put away books. They love doing these little things that help mommy out tremendously. I have started to let them help with the dishes each evening as well. I put the dishes in the dishwasher and they help me to hand wash anything leftover such as baby bottles, pots, and pans, etc. 

Having all boys is also tough on my bathrooms if you know what I mean. I am constantly giving lessons on how to properly "go". LOL! I know I can only give so much advice being a girl and all. I just cleaned my bathrooms and you wouldn't be able to tell if you come by tomorrow. I am going to start teaching them how to clean the bathrooms as well (maybe not the toilets just yet).



Here is a look at my schedule as well as chores that the little ones do also: 

Our daily chores include- dishes, making beds, de-clutter, 10 minute tidy up before daddy comes home, feed/water/walk the dog, put away books we read that day. 

Monday- Laundry,clean bedrooms (dust, vacuum, swiffer, etc.) 
Tuesday- Bathrooms (including sink, counters, floors, toilets, rugs)
Wednesday- Laundry (today would include all linens as well), Living room and Dining room (dust, tidy bookshelves, wipe tables, file mail)
Thursday- Kitchen (counters, top of fridge, inside of fridge, appliances, sink, and pantry), menu plan for next week
Friday- Laundry, school room clean up (put away supplies, books, etc.), all floors (sweep, mop, vacuum)
Saturday- Outside (clean out car and yard work), finish anything that didn't get done (like leftover laundry or dusting)

We try very hard not to clean on Sunday's because that is our day of rest as the Lord intended. We also use that day to do things with the children. We take them to the park or jump on the trampoline. The boys understand that Sunday is different than the rest of the days because we are intentional about what we choose to do and who we choose to do it with. 

I also choose one day per month or so and go through a closet or a room and get rid of junk. Hubby was cleaning the garage the other day and I went out there to see what he was doing. Low and behold, I ended up going through 5 boxes of old clothes and shoes of the kids and donated 4 HUGE trash bags to the DAV. It not only made me feel very accomplished it made my Hubby extremely happy. He can't stand stuff everywhere especially if we don't use it. Donating it makes me feel very good about getting rid of things. 

As you can see, I only do laundry 3 days a week. I know most people choose to do laundry everyday but that would really make me HATE doing it. I need a break once in a while. It works for me but it may not work for you. When it was just Hubby and I we did laundry maybe twice a week. LOL! Those were the days. I wouldn't trade all of my laundry for a single second with any of my children.

I love being a homemaker (or domestic engineer as I like to call it). Some people may look down on what I do but I have the most important job in the world. I have the job of raising my children to know and love the Lord. I get to watch them grow up and see them changing each day. I get to watch them learn new things and play outside on nice days. My boys have a love for each other that will last a lifetime. They are best friends and love to be around each other (even the baby). 

Thank you for stopping by to check out my homemaking schedule. Hopefully, I didn't forget something big. LOL! I really do clean everyday. If you come by and it looks a mess, I am sorry you missed it.

Go HERE for a free printable of "The Homemaker's Prayer". It is worth the read and you can print it, laminate it, and put it on the fridge as a reminder to be thankful for it all.


Blessings,


Kristy

Check out Growing Home for more Homemaking links and tips. 

No comments: