Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Spirit-Filled Home {The Wife's Role}



"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."
Proverbs 31:30

"She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue."
Proverbs 31:26

"An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels."
Proverbs 31:10

"Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives."
1 Peter 3:1

"But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God."
1 Corinthians 11:3

Recently, I heard a sermon about how to have a "Spirit-Filled Home". It was probably one of the best sermons I have ever heard. The Pastor spoke about the family unit and what our roles were. He said that in order to have a Spirit-Filled Home everyone has to be in working toward one goal: to be more like Christ. If even one person is falling away from the Lord it affects the whole family. The atmosphere and spirit of the home starts with ME. Yes, I know there are others in my home that have a role in this as well but I am only in control of myself and my actions/thoughts. 

It begins with my thoughts. It begins with my actions. It begins with my attitude. No matter how much I nag, yell, rationalize, etc. I can't control my husband. I can try to get my children to be obedient and loving but we all have those days that seem like no one is listening. Ha! I can ultimately only control myself. 

I want my house to be so full of God that when people come over they can feel His presence. Here are a few tips to help you (as a wife and mother) to have a Spirit-Filled Home:

Honor And Respect Your Husband

I know this one is a tough one. My husband recently told me that if a man feels respected and honored by his wife that makes all the difference in marriage. He said that a man needs respect more than any other thing on earth. Now, that doesn't mean that I respect him only when he respects me. It doesn't mean that I only respect him when he does what I want him to do. It means that no matter what my husband does or does not do, I respect him and reverence him. I don't mean to put up with abuse in any way. That is a whole different blog post. I pray that no one is facing abuse. I am talking about respecting your husband even when you know he is wrong. Listening to his opinion without telling him he is nuts. Not slandering him around town (even to your mother). Really respect him. 

Teach Your Children The Word Of God

I homeschool my children and the motto of our school is "Christ First". I know not everyone can homeschool. You are still responsible for teaching your children about the Lord. When they are home get out your bible and read from it. Let them see you reading the bible daily. Give them bible verses to memorize and hide in their hearts. Have a family devotion each day after dinner and talk about what you learned. Instill in your children a heart for the Lord and serving and worshiping Him. Teach them to pray. Our Pastor said that he believes (and so do I) that a family that prays together, stays together. Let your children hear you and your husband talk about God often. Believe me, they hear things even when you think they are not listening. 

Have A Cheerful Attitude

No one can be happy all the time. It takes great effort sometimes to put a smile on your face. But, if you have the Lord in your heart you have plenty to be thankful for. If you are having a hard time feeling joy in any given day just open up your bible and read some of the Psalms. They always make me feel better. Pray that God would lift your spirits and make you see all of the blessings in your life. I love my husband and I love my children. I have a beautiful home and food in the pantry and fridge. The sun is shining outside and I want for nothing. No, I am not rich or spoiled or anything like that. But, I see that what I DO have is a lot of blessings from God. Just remember the bible verse Philippians 4:8. It is one of my favorites.

Keep The Peace

Keep your house peaceful. Try not to yell or argue in front of the children. Solve problems the way the bible says to solve them. Peaceably. When your husband comes home from a long day at work don't greet him at the door with a list of demands. Don't immediately let him know how terrible the kids acted that day or how you feel horrible and just want to go to bed. Don't say "tag, you're it" and leave the room. Greet him with a warm smile and a sweet kiss. Tell him to change clothes and unwind while you get dinner finished. Prepare the children by letting them know that daddy will be home soon and he needs to unwind. Tell them that they can greet him and treat him like a rock star (at least that's how it is in my house) and then go play until dinner is done. Keep the mood of the home calm as much as possible. I know that it can't be done 24/7. Unexpected things come up all the time, especially when children are involved. But, if you have a peaceful attitude from the get-go then each situation will be handled in that way.

I truly hope that this blog post is a blessing to you. I may add more to this list of things to help you have a Spirit-Filled Home as God puts them on my heart. I will simply label them Part 1, Part 2, etc. The Lord's desire for each of us is to live for Him and serve Him. He wants us to tell everyone we know about His unfailing love. It all starts in the home. You know the old saying "Home is where the heart is". That is so true. If our homes are filled with the Spirit of God then they will be filled with love. Love for God, for your husband, for your children, and anyone else who steps foot into your home. I hope this encourages you to start fresh each day with the attitude of a Spirit-Filled Wife.


Blessings,


Kristy





No comments: