Saturday, November 15, 2014

Inside The Test Kitchen {Review}



I will admit that I have a "small" obsession with cookbooks. So, whenever I get to opportunity to review one, I jump on board. Tyler Florence has written a new cookbook called Inside The Test Kitchen. It is filled with 120 recipes that have been tried and refined in the test kitchen to see what works best. He gives tips and tricks that worked for each recipe and gives you advice on what didn't work.

The book itself is hard cover and large. It also has a strap to keep it closed. The front cover is simple and not too fussy, which I like. It's laid out almost like a notebook. Some of the pictures are labeled with a "hand written" style of font which made me feel like Tyler Florence was actually right there with me.

I truly loved the layout of this cookbook. The recipes were easy to follow. The only problem I have with it is the ingredients and level of difficulty for some of the recipes. For instance, there will be over 20 ingredients for one meal. I have a family of five with no time for 20 ingredient meals. Haha. I say that jokingly.

I enjoyed reading through this cookbook and do plan to make a few of the meals. I love the fact that he tells you what worked for him and what didn't work. For example, there is a section about hamburgers. Tyler Florence used several different cuts of meat to try out his recipe. He gives you his final thoughts on how each cut made the hamburger taste, etc.

Some of the chapters include:

Cheese
Eggs
Baking
Chicken
Pasta
Pork Chops
Potatoes
Barbecue

My favorite chapter was the pasta, of course. My favorite food. I loved the recipe for one pan lasagna. Anything I can make in one pan is a winner in my book.

In case you don't know who Tyler Florence is, here is some info about him:

"TYLER FLORENCE is a Food Network star, author of twelve books, product designer, and the chef-owner of Wayfare Tavern in San Francisco and El Paseo in Mill Valley, California. He also produces wines under his California Crush label, and will open the Tyler Florence Test Kitchen, a culinary laboratory, think tank, and event space, in late 2014. He lives in California with his family."

I recommend this cookbook to those who LOVE to cook and experiment with different foods. For me, personally, it was a bit much for a medium sized family on a small budget. I will be making some of the meals in this book on occasion though. Especially, the pasta and burgers. 

Blessings,


Kristy

I received this book from Blogging For Books for this review. All opinions stated here are solely my own.  

No comments: