Friday, November 14, 2014

"The Only Way To Have A Friend Is To Be One"


Ralph Waldo Emerson had it right. If you want a friend, you must first be a friend. I have learned this to be the truth in my own life.

I have a few friends. Well, more like one friend (who makes time for me) and family. If I do not make time for them, how can I expect them to make time for me? Being a stay-at-home-mom (SAHM) makes it very difficult to have many friends.

The only time I am away from my children is if I have a doctor's appointment (and sometimes they are there with me too). I also homeschool so I do not have the luxury of "doing lunch" with my friends and family. The weekends are usually eaten up with family time.

The truth is, it's hard to make time for others. My family comes first. If they have need then I have to sacrifice my own time for them. I am a wife and a mother to three little boys (who are very needy). I must make time for myself and my friends.

It's hard to find a babysitter for all three of my children. My husband will keep them anytime I ask but I always feel bad asking him because he works so hard during the week. So, when I do get all of my ducks in a row, it is rare and special.

I cherish my friendships very much. So, in order to keep those friendships alive I schedule time for those I love. About once a month (or more like every 6-8 weeks lately) I meet my BFF for brunch. We chat and drink coffee and laugh. It is so wonderful to see her and talk to her. She will never truly know how much she means to me.

It also goes the other way though. If you have a friend who is a SAHM, please make time for her. I can tell you that she never gets time to unwind. She is always on duty. Always awake (even when you think she's sleeping). Always making decisions.

She knows you are busy with your life and working and family. She knows the sacrifices you make every single day. She also makes sacrifices such as having a social life.

Remember your friends. Take them into consideration. Never be so busy that you can't make time for them. Friendships are one of life's most beautiful blessings. It is something that is in your control. YOU get to choose your friends. You didn't get to choose the family you grew up in. But, you do have a choice about who you want as your friend.

Having a true friend is very special. Having someone you can count on in the good times and in the bad times is the most wonderful thing in the world. Make time for the people that matter to you. Be a friend. You never know what it might mean to someone. Time is something that we can't make more of. That's why it means the most.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Hi Kristy, I can not seem to find your email anywhere. I also can't reply to you through your comments because your email is not linked to those, and you didn't leave an email on your giveaway comment either LOL So I've been running around trying to figure out how to contact you. I decided to come and comment on your blog in the hopes that you get this.

Please email me back at bourlancs@msn.com with your address so that I can get your scarf out to you. Congratulations :)