Thursday, January 1, 2015

In 2015 I Will Be An Overcomer

I always hated "resolutions". They were empty lies that I never planned on sticking to. Most of the time, they were so far fetched and unattainable that it became unrealistic.

Thankfully, we get a New Year every year. Just like God's mercies are new each morning, we can start fresh each year. A clean slate. I have been so grateful for a clean slate this year.

Last year brought with it some trials and struggles. There was also a lot of joy. I made resolutions and didn't accomplish a single one. But, this year, I will accomplish all of my goals. With God, a supportive husband, and many resources available to help me along the way.

My bible verse for 2015 is: "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore, honor God with your bodies." (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

My word for 2015 is OVERCOMER. I am a huge Mandisa fan. Her song "Overcomer" came out last year. It spoke to my heart immediately. I have been dealing with health issues and stress. When I heard her song I felt my spirit being lifted. That is why I chose "Overcomer" as my word for this year. I want to overcome some obstacles and stumbling blocks in my life.

Here are my goals for 2015 that deal with "Overcoming":

1. I will overcome my addiction to food. Yes, I know how lame that sounds. But, I absolutely love to eat. I think about food all of the time. I think about when my next meal will be. It has become an "idol" of sorts in my life. I have researched the "Paleo" diet and have been implementing it in my eating habits. I want to be healthier for myself, my family, and God. See above bible verse for my reasoning. It is self-explanatory.

2. I will overcome the laundry pile. This is stating the obvious. This is always a goal for me but this year I have a plan. I have always wanted to do one load of laundry per day. With three little boys, a husband who has to dress up for work, and myself, there is way too much laundry. I WILL make it my goal to do one load of laundry per day. I will also fold it and put it away the same day. I am that person with lots of clean clothes sitting in laundry baskets, unfolded. Haha. Not anymore. I have started The Fly Lady's cleaning plan. I even joined a private Facebook group that gives you encouragement in the cleaning department.

3. I will overcome the dishes in the sink. Part of The Fly Lady's philosophy is to shine your kitchen sink each night before bed. That way, you wake up to a fresh kitchen with no mess. I know from personal experience that on the nights I make an effort to do the dishes right after dinner, I wake up more refreshed. Seeing those yucky dishes in the sink first thing in the morning is such a downer. This year, I will plan to do them right after dinner each evening.

4. I will overcome my poor health. Last year, I spent LOTS of money and time going back and forth to the doctor because of my health. After extensive (and I mean very extensive) testing they found NOTHING wrong with me. I was very frustrated at first by this news. How can I be so tired all the time, having migraines often, extremely moody, and lots more stuff and nothing is wrong? Well, God put it on my heart that I needed to eat better and exercise. Now, I don't have lots of time to exercise, but just taking a brisk 15 minute walk after dinner is well worth it. I believe that the things I have been eating have caused my poor health. See above bible verse once again for my reasoning.

5. I will overcome my need to be in control all the time. This one is a big one for me. I am a control freak. It is a known fact. I have gotten a lot better over the years with my obsessive planning and scheduling. I can let go of the reigns and just go with the flow....once in a while. Haha. But, this year I will let go and LET GOD. He is my Refuge and Strength. He is my God and if I am in control...how can He be? I am praying about this in my life.

6. I will be Overcome with JOY. Yup, this should be #1. I want to be joyful. I have a desk calendar and the last page last year said "Learn how to feel joy in your life". Uh, yeah....I totally needed that. Instead of always looking at the negative things, I will try to look at the positive. I want to be an uplifting, happy, upbeat person. I want to spread joy to others, especially my children. I have many "not so joyful" days. I want them to remember the joyful and happy times. My goal is to smile more and spend more time just being in the moment with my babies. After all, they are only little for a little while.


So, these are my goals for this year. I made them reasonable and didn't put a limit on what God can do in these areas. I didn't say I would lose weight or exercise every day. That isn't realistic for me. I have small children who need me all the time. I also homeschool them. There is no "me" time to exercise. But, if I start small and control what goes into my body, I can achieve so much more.



Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what your word for 2015 is. I hope and pray that whatever you do this year and wherever the Lord leads you that you will be blessed.

2 comments:

Penny said...

What a great list of goals! I am feeling the overcome poor health as well. I am hoping to make wiser food choices and get moving more.

Emilee Roberts said...

I love that song, and I think it's a great word for 2015! I pray you have a blessed year!