Thursday, January 8, 2015

Supermarket Healthy By: Melissa D'Arabian {Review}


I have a confession to make. I LOVE Melissa D'Arabian. Ever since I saw her on The Next Food Network Star a few years ago. She was my favorite contestant. I also enjoy watching her show 10 Dollar Dinners on Food Network. She just seems so sweet to me and a person I could chat with without feeling like she was a star. She is so down-to-earth on her show and makes you feel at home while she is cooking. She is also very pretty....if I do say so myself. 

She has written a few cookbooks over the years. One of which, is called...you guessed it, 10 Dollar Dinners. I think it is a wonderful book. But, she has written a new one called Supermarket Healthy recently and I got the chance to review it! Melissa D'Arabian knows what people want when it comes to food. Just in time for the New Year and everyone's resolutions and goals, she released this new cookbook about getting healthier options from the market and how to prepare them at home. 

Here is a little about Supermarket Healthy:

"Everyone wants to feel good about what they are eating, serving guests, and feeding their families, but most of us don't do our weekly shopping at pricey specialty stores-- we do it at the local supermarket and we don't want it to break the bank. In her second book, Melissa demystifies the task of preparing nutritious and delicious food by showing exactly how you can make your grocery store work for you. She offers helpful strategies for shopping, cooking, and entertaining, as well as meal blueprints and nutritional information throughout. This book will make you confident about the food you're buying, preparing, and eating. Delicious recipes like Almond Waffles with Raspberry-Basil SauceKale and White Bean Caesar Salad in a JarSlow-Roasted Tomato SpaghettiniFlatiron Steaks with Quick Cauliflower Kimchi, and Flourless Fudgy Dream Cookies have something for every type of eater at every meal of the day. No matter your favorite flavors or dietary needs, cooking on a budget is empowering-- and now you can learn how to make every bite count. If cooking at home is the key to healthy living, Supermarket Healthy is the only tool you'll need."

Starting on January 1st I started cutting out grains, sugar, and dairy for the most part. Now, I am not so strict with the dairy. But, the sugar and grains have been gone. I have lost about 4-1/2 lbs. When I received Supermarket Healthy I was so excited. Melissa D'Arabian did a wonderful job of making great dishes that make you feel good and they taste good too. 

I can't wait to try out some of the wonderful, healthy recipes in this treasure of a book. I mean, who doesn't want to try Cheesy Eggplant Parmesan? Or, Grilled Zucchini Pizza Bites? Maybe a dessert is your thing...Vanilla And Blueberry Cheesecake Pudding! I am getting hungry just thinking about these amazing dishes. 

At the beginning, she explains all of the needed items for a well-stocked, healthy pantry. There are lists you can view and take with you to do market. Here are the different sections of the book:


  1. Breakfast
  2. Snacks
  3. Soups and Stews
  4. Salads, Wraps, and Sandwiches
  5. Veggie Mains
  6. Pasta
  7. Fish and Seafood
  8. Chicken and Turkey
  9. Beef, Pork, and Lamb
  10. Sides
  11. Dessert
I highly recommend this cookbook to anyone who is looking for some great, healthy recipes that will taste good and make you feel good too. 

More info about Melissa D'Arabian:

"Channel's Drop 5 Lbs with Good Housekeeping. She also developed the FoodNetwork.com seriesThe Picky Eaters Project, serves as lead judge on Guy's Grocery Games, and is the author of the New York Times bestselling cookbook Ten Dollar Dinners. Melissa has an MBA from Georgetown University, and lives with her husband and their four daughters in San Diego."

Please visit Melissa D'Arabian's website HERE for more info. 


*This book was given to me by Blogging For Books for review. All opinions expressed here are solely my own.*


No comments: