Monday, February 23, 2015

Love & Marriage {Putting Luke 6:31 into Practice}


"Do to others as you would have them do to you." 
-Luke 6:31

Marriage is a very hard subject to write about. I have seen so many marriages fall apart. My own parents were never married to one another. They are, however, married now and have been to the same people since I was a little girl. But, I never knew that people actually got married to their sweetheart and then had children, and so on. It never occurred to me that there was an order that things should be done according to the bible. 

After I married my sweetheart over 10 years ago I have never regretted it. I have never even thought that we wouldn't be together someday. Marriage can be (and should be) a blessing. I have learned through being married that we should always treat each other with respect and kindness. Even in the midst of a disagreement. It is so hard, but Jesus told us to do this in Luke. 

It seems so easy to treat others the way you want to be treated. It seems like it would be second-nature. But, we are human. We treat people the way we think they deserve to be treated. We treat people the way they treat us instead. It's kind of like an eye for an eye. If you yell, I will yell louder. If you put me down, I will give you a tongue lashing. If you criticize me, I will tell you everything you do wrong as well. 

Do you see the pattern? It is a vicious cycle and one that is very hard to stop. Jesus' command is very clear. Treat people the way you expect and want to be treated. Jesus also tells us exactly how to treat others:

  • In Exodus 20:1-17 you can find the 10 Commandments given to us by God
  • John 13:34- "Love One Another"
  • Romans 12:10- "Honor One Another"
  • Romans 12:16- "Live In Harmony With One Another"
  • Romans 14:13- "Do Not Be A Stumbling Block For One Another"
  • Romans 15:7- "Accept One Another"
  • Galatians 5:13- "Serve One Another"
  • Ephesians 4:2- "Be Humble And Gentle, Patient With One Another"
  • Ephesians 4:32- "Be Kind And Compassionate, Forgive One Another"
  • 1 Thessalonians 5:11- "Encourage One Another"
  • James 4:11- "Do Not Slander One Another"
  • 1 Peter 3:8- "Live In Harmony With One Another"
You can apply each one of these commands to marriage, not just in general. It is so important to treat your spouse with your best attitude. You have to live with your spouse. I heard someone once say that people usually treat total strangers better than they do the people in their own home. How sad is that?

God gives us clear instructions about how we should treat others. It is so important to follow His commands. He gave us a guide, not to just abide by when we feel like it, but to always follow. In marriage, these commands are especially important because our spouse is the person who is closest to us. They see you on your good days and your bad days.

There are so many great resources online for hurting marriages or just refresher courses for those with healthy marriages. Below, I have given you the best resource I have found. Jolene Engle is such a wonderful Christian woman and an example of what we should strive to be as wives. She has been through a lot in her life and speaks openly about all of her failures and faults and how she overcame each one. 

Please visit Jolene Engle's website for more resources on marriage and growing in your faith as a Christian woman.