Tuesday, March 31, 2015

An Interview With Sandi Queen of Queen Homeschool Supplies


I love Queen Homeschool Supplies. I was introduced to this company last year when my SIL told me about their amazing science books. I actually ended up ordering their science book in their "Discovering Nature Series". It is called A Nature Walk By Aunt Bessie. It is wonderfully written for children to understand nature and the science behind bugs and animals. They have discontinued the math book I bought but they offer many other books that I plan to use next school year. The last item I ordered was the Language Lessons For Little Ones book.

All of the resources I ordered from from Queen Homeschool are amazing and so well written. You can definitely tell they put a lot of time and effort into each book they write. Since I am blogging for the HEAV conference this year and since I use Queen Homeschool Supplies and they will be there I decided to do an interview with Sandi Queen. Sandi Queen is the creator of Queen Homeschool Supplies.

Here is my interview and I hope you enjoy getting to know more about Queen Homeschool Supplies:

1. How did Queen Homeschool come about?

  • In 1994, we were asked to be a rep for a math company.  Once we were on the road and attending homeschool conventions every week or so during the spring and summer, as a homeschool mom myself, I was always on the lookout for new material to use when homeschooling my own six children.  When we couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, I started to write books for my children, starting with the book, "From Girl to Woman:  God's Plan for the Marvelous Changes That Will Take Place," which, by request, I shared with friends who saw it.  Those friends encouraged me to make my books available to others, and in July 1994, Queen Homeschool Supplies, Inc. was born.
2. What products do you sell for homeschoolers?
  • We specialize in Charlotte Mason inspired curriculum for all ages in all subjects, Bible studies, parenting helps, and character building books and games for all ages.  We also sell our own brand of essential oils, Essential Vitality, which our daughter creates in the wellness center we own, The Holistic Wellness Center, in Pennsylvania.  These essential oils came in first place in independent testing by a world–renowned expert in aromatherapy.
3. What is your favorite product and why?

  • My personal favorite series we publish is a 3 way tie.  I wrote the "God's Plan for Growing Up" series, starting with "From Girl to Woman," for my own children when I couldn't find anything suitable, and it immediately took off with homeschooling families.  It will always have a special place in my heart because it was our introduction to publishing.  Our multi award winning "Language Lessons" series was written for my five oldest children so they would have something beautiful and lovely to use for grammar and writing instruction when I was away in the hospital with our youngest son after his cancer diagnosis, and again, holds a special place in my heart.  Another of our multi award winning series, "Pictures in Cursive," was written for our oldest son who was struggling with cursive writing, who told me later that first year that he used it, "Mom, cursive writing was my favorite subject this year!"  So again - it holds a special place in my heart.  

    In fact, all of our books were originally published for our own children, so it's really hard for me to choose a favorite, as the creation of each series brings back those special memories that made me decide to write something special for one or more of our children.
4. Can you purchase all of your curriculum through Queen Homeschool's website?
  • Yes!
5. Who writes the curriculum and books for Queen Homeschool?
  • Many of the books were written by members of our own family - Sandi Queen, Kiley Queen, Casey Queen, Haley Queen, Evan Queen, and Luke Queen.  We also publish many older books that were out of print, which we have brought back into publication.  We've been able to also work with a team of other wonderful authors and illustrators who were chosen to write books especially for us as part of our series, or as series of their own.
6. Why is homeschooling so important to you and your family?
  • We began homeschooling in 1986, before it was commonplace.  We mainly began for religious reasons.  We did not want our children to be indoctrinated by the public school curriculum and have their minds filled with things like evolution and worldly perspectives. It was largely for us a matter of worldview, but also because, having taught and read to my children from birth, and having seen how well that was working for us, I couldn't bear the thought of turning their young minds and character over to someone else to have all day, every day.  I saw how inquisitive their young minds were, and how they were free, at home, to explore and create and learn with no limits.  I did not want that taken away from them.
7. Why did you first begin to homeschool?
  • I guess I just answered that in my answer above!  :)
8. What are your social media links?
9. Is there anything else that you would like us to know about Queen Homeschool?
  • We've been homeschooling since 1986, and we are still homeschooling.  We are a family–run business.  When you call, you will speak with one of our daughters, who run the phone lines.  Your mailorders are packed and shipped by our family members.  When you see us at a convention, you will be waited on by our family members.  QHS keeps us all hopping, but we love what we do, and wouldn't have it any other way!  Because we know it's our customers who keep us in business (and groceries!), we are always open to customer input, and have written many books due to customer request for certain items, made changes due to customer suggestions, and even let certain titles go out of print when our customers liked another of our series better.  We love to interact with our customers!
I really enjoyed reading her answers and hope you do too. Please check out Queen Homeschool Supplies as soon as you can. It is an awesome website that is owned by a homeschooling family. 

No comments: