Friday, March 27, 2015

The Perfect Egg {Review}

 
 
I am always looking for new recipes for eggs. It is one of those foods that you can get cheaply, locally, and they are good for you as well. The Perfect Egg by Teri Lyn Fisher and Jenny Park is a newly published book with a fresh take on recipes using eggs. I have a small obsession with cook books (as most of my regular readers already know). I read them for fun. Haha.
 
I dove right in to The Perfect Egg when it came in the mail to review. Included in this book are recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, and everything in between. I am a HUGE dessert lover so that was the first place I went. There were so many delicious recipes here that I couldn't focus on just one. Here are a few of my favorites:
  • Spicy Chocolate Mousse (p. 133)
  • Vanilla Bean Semifreddo Bars (p. 137)
  • Peaches 'N' Cream Cake (p. 147)
The next section I went to was breakfast because, you know, eggs scream breakfast food. I really thought I would find the usual suspects for breakfast here but I was very surprised. There was a ton of information about the different types of quiche as well as frittatas and pancakes. I was very intrigued by the different techniques the authors used to prepare each item. Here are a couple of my favorites:
  • Blackberry Stuffed Croissant French Toast (p. 35)
  • Havarti Dill Popovers (p. 56)
  • Buttermilk Pancakes (p. 59)
So, I have a confession to make. My name is Kristy and I am addicted to bread. Ahh...now that it is out in the open we can move on. Well, this was my very favorite part of The Perfect Egg. They didn't put too many bread recipes in the book but the ones they chose are A-MA-ZING! The brioche buns on page 23 are so mouth watering. They are so egg-y and delicious. There is also a recipe for Hawaiian sweet rolls (p. 27)...need I say more?!
 
At the very beginning of the book they go into detail about the egg, how to handle it, how to store it, and different techniques of preparing it to perfection. They also include a small section on sauces made with eggs as well as pasta and the anatomy of the egg. It was great to "get to know" the egg before actually cooking with it.
 
The lunch, dinner, and snack sections were awesome as well. Here are a few of the recipes that caught my eye:
  • Pasta Carbonara (p. 125)
  • Charred Caesar Salad (p. 97)
  • Parmesan Popcorn Puffs (p. 69)
  • Beef Empanadas (p. 102)
  • Spaetzle With Swedish Meatballs (p. 119)
 
As you can see by the lists above there are so many yummy recipes that my mouth was watering after the first few pages. This is a great book about using eggs in everyday cooking. I highly recommend this book. It will have a special place in my kitchen from now on.
 
"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. All opinions expressed here are solely my own."

No comments: