Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Berenstain Bears' Country Cookbook {Review}


My oldest son, he is 6, loves to help me in the kitchen. He loves to cook and bake. When I was browsing the books I was able to review, I came across this children's cookbook. It just so happens that it was also part of the Berenstain Bears Collection. The Berenstain Bears' Country Cookbook by Mike Berenstain is such a delightful and fun book to read through. My two oldest sons read through it so many times that the pages became wrinkled within a week of having it.

There are 40 recipes included in this book as well as a story to follow through the entire thing. Also laced through the pages are bible verses that encourage children in their walk with the Lord. I felt the author did a wonderful job of gathering kid-friendly recipes and making them seem very easy to cook/bake.

This cookbook consists of recipes for the following categories:

  • Breakfast
  • Lunch
  • Main Dishes
  • Dessert
  • Snacks
There are also sweet little facts about honey (because it is a Berenstain Bears book afterall), a prayer for grace before meals, and kitchen measurements. I know we read this book a hundred times. 

Some of our favorite recipes were:
  • Monkey Bread (p. 18-19)
  • Toast with Eggs & Cheese (p. 24-25)
  • Mini Pizzas (p. 36-37)
  • Turkey Shaped Sandwiches (p. 46-47)
  • Bear-y Good Mac & Cheese (p. 50-51)
  • Chicken Quesadillas (p. 62-63)
  • Applesauce (p. 72-73)
  • Honey Hunt Cookies (p. 84-85)
  • Race Car Cookies (p. 90-91)
We actually made the chicken quesadillas and my boys (ALL three of them) raved about them. They actually ate all of their meal and asked for more. My husband and I liked them as well. I can't wait to try more recipes in this sweet book. 

If your child likes to cook or has any interest at all in being in the kitchen with you, buy this book for them. It is colorful and sweet and my children couldn't put it down. 

I was given this book by Book Look Bloggers in exchange for a review. All opinions expressed here are solely my own. 

No comments: