Friday, June 19, 2015

HEAV...These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things!



I am still on a high from the HEAV Homeschool Convention last weekend. Honestly, it was exhausting but in a very good way. I woke up this morning and actually wished I could go again this weekend. So, I decided since I can't go again this weekend I would just write a blog post about all of my favorite things about the convention. There were so many vendors and speakers and exhibitors that I have quite a few. But, I whittled the list down to my all time favs (in no particular order).

1. The Widows Friend- Paula Zitzman comes to the convention every year. With her, she brings beautiful hand-sewn and hand-stitched items. This organization provides opportunities for widows and orphans living in poverty in Bangladesh to earn money to provide for their families. This organization includes many other ministries including The Women's Center, Tongi School For The Deaf, FOB Girls Hostel, Clinics, Home Of Joy (an orphanage), and so much more. The items that are brought to the convention include scripture texts sewn on to table runners, pillow covers, frame-able items, and handmade jewelry. I just love this ministry because the money goes straight to the person who made the item for sale. They get half of it up front and half goes into a bank account. For more info email Paula Zitzman at psalm16.6@bcglobal.net.

2. Queen Homeschool Supplies, Inc.- I use Queen Homeschool Supplies for some of my curriculum for homeschooling. It is a Charlotte Mason style curriculum that is easy to use and uses the Bible as the basis for all of its books and materials. I did an interview with Sandi Queen a while back and you can check it out HERE for more info. Her booth is always a favorite to visit because I can actually look at each item before purchasing anything.

3. Good Steward Books- This booth always has wonderful products including Christian t-shirts, Christian books at a low price, and CD's and DVD's that won't break the bank. I stop by and grab a new shirt for each member of my family as well as an Odyssey CD for the kids and a book for myself. Right now they are running a special on their website, if you spend $25 or more you get Free Shipping.

4. The Young Entrepreneurs- I love visiting with the young people in this section of the exhibit hall. This year there were so many homemade items and each one has a story behind it. I've bought books written by homeschoolers, games, etc. This time I purchased a crocheted head band with a flower on it at the Hooked On Blooms booth and a couple of crocheted hair scrunchies at Us Girls. These young ladies (at both booths) were so delightful and sweet. What a blessing to get to know them personally.

5. The Neely Team Marketplace- As a Blogger for HEAV I received a warm/cold wrap from them called a Thera-pit-tics pac. It is a microwaveable heat wrap that is filled with cherry pits. It can also be put in the freezer to be used as a cold pack. They sell many therapeutic items such as candles, music, books, and more. I have used my cherry pit filled wrap many times and it is wonderful!! Thank you so much!

6. Laurelwood Books- I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting the owner of this company Mary Ellen. She specializes in selling homeschool books, classics, and educational items. She has written quite a few books including Patriotic Penmanship books for all levels including a transition penmanship book from print to cursive. They are beautifully written and the copy work includes bible verses and quotes from our fore fathers. She has also written Latin Readers for beginners. These include the story of The Three Little Pigs, The Tortoise And The Hare, and more. In it, Mary Ellen gently leads the student into Latin by introducing each letter and the sound it makes and then the story is written in English and then in Latin with the English translation beside it. These are wonderful books. Visit her website for more info and more products.

7. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation- I live in Williamsburg so I stopped by to chat with Winette (the lady who was running the booth). She is a lovely lady and gave me lots of info on upcoming events and gave me her info so I can stay up to date on the latest news about Colonial Williamsburg. For more info go to colonialwilliamsburg.com and let your historical adventure begin!

8. Happy Heart Children's Book- I recently wrote a blog post about this wonderful lady and her book HERE. Michelle Marttila is such an inspiration and her company is wonderful. Yes, I know I said wonderful again but she really is so sweet. Please check out her new book Happy Heart for yourself. The story is a moral one and there are bible verses included.

My overall experience at the HEAV was refreshment and rejuvenating. I had the best time and absolutely cannot wait until next year!!

 



No comments: