Monday, November 2, 2015

Prayers That Changed History {By Tricia Goyer}



Tricia Goyer is an award-winning author who has written many books in her life. Some of them are: The Promise Box (which I reviewed a while ago and loved), Mom's Night Out (they made a movie out of this one), and The Big Sky Series (an Amish fiction series). She is well known for her Amish Fiction writing and loves giving advice about being a Christian (and what that means). I have so many of her books and now I can add one more to the shelf. Her newest book, Prayers That Changed History, is geared more toward a younger crowd, maybe 13-17. But, I enjoyed reading it very much as well.

In this book, Tricia Goyer gives us a brief history lesson about each person/prayer. Some of the prayers include those from:

  • St. Patrick of Ireland
  • Martin Luther
  • John Eliot
  • Catherine Booth
  • Billy Sunday
  • Helen Keller
  • Mother Teresa
  • Corrie ten Boom
Each chapter is a different prayer. She begins with who said/wrote the prayer and a little bit about them. There is so much history in this book. I learned things I didn't know. My favorite story was about Mother Teresa. I sure wish I would have gotten to meet her. What a woman of God! After an introduction to the person and a brief history she gives you the exact prayer they said/wrote (and it is highlighted in gray so it is easily found). She then goes on to talk about how the prayer changed history and what it meant to the world at the time it was said/written. Finally, she gives examples to back up the prayer from the Bible.

I found this book very easy to read and understand. This could easily be used in any setting as it is very family-friendly. For instance, you could use it as a devotional for family dinnertime. Reading about a person and their history as well as how they made a positive contribution to God's Kingdom is a wonderful way to start or end a day. It also gets children asking questions about the person who said the prayer. It may lead to a trip to the library to find out more about each person. But, I found myself digging into my Bible to find the passages that pertained to each prayer and highlighted them so I could easily find them.

I recommend this book to those young and not-so-young. There is always something to be learned from a good book and this is definitely a good book. Tricia Goyer has never left me unhappy after reading her works.

*I was given this book by BookLookBloggers.com in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed here are solely my own.*

No comments: