Monday, March 21, 2016

Homeschooling Jensen Style




With the homeschool convention season coming up soon I thought I would write a post about what products we use in our homeschool and what our day looks like. This is simply a post with lots of pictures and a few words. Let me know what you use in the comments section. If you use any of the same products I would love to hear from you about what you liked and disliked. I hope you enjoy this post!

Math:

 
We used Horizons Math this year (levels K and 1). We only got through one book (and likely that is all we will get through) but the boys have loved it.
 
 
Penmanship:
 
 
I used Mary Ellen Tedrow's Penmanship books for K and 1. They have learned to write bible verses, famous quotes, and, of course, their ABC's.
 
 
Classical Conversations:
 
 
We used Classical Conversations as our main focus of learning. The boys have learned about all of the major historical events from Creation through Man walking on the moon. They have memorized 400 facts so far this year including science facts, math facts (skip counting, the area of a triangle, etc.), geography, Latin, English Grammar, and so on. They have memorized Exodus 20 as well. We also have a community day once a week where we meet with other CC families and have fellowship and learning. Best decision we have ever made for our family.
 
 
Bible:
 
 
We start our day by doing a Bible lesson and devotion. We have used the Adventure Bible (which has color pictures and lessons included) as well as Jesus Calling for little ones. It is a great way to start any day.
 
 
Reading:
 
 
For my 5 year old I have been using 100 Easy Lessons. It worked well with my 7 year old to learn his basic phonics skills. My 5 year old is going through the book at a high rate of speed. He is a very fast learner.
 
 
For both of the older boys I utilized my home library (which you can see is quite large). We read a lot of books. I also do a read aloud with them (examples are: The Littles, Robin Hood, Sign of the Beaver). My 7 year old had an "ah-hah" moment over Christmas and reading just clicked. He has a real love for reading now and begs to read all the time.
 
Drawing:
 
 
My 7 year old has really loved learning to draw this year. This Watch Me Draw book has been wonderful. He gets it out and draws a new creation and then colors it. My 5 year old loves to color in coloring books. We have about a million of them ;-)
 
 
What my little man does:
 
 
I got these little work books from the Dollar Tree. He is totally obsessed with Sesame Street, especially Ernie (he just had his 3rd birthday and it was Ernie themed). He scribbles and colors in them while we do our school work. He thinks he is something with his school books. It is so cute.
 
 
What Our School Day Looks Like:
 
  1. We usually wake up around 7am with breakfast and coffee right away.
  2. Around 9am (after a little while playing) we have a clean up session. I do the dishes and they clean up their room or the back room.
  3. We do our school work at different times during the day. Sometimes we begin before lunch and sometimes I wait until after lunch. It depends on the weather.
  4. We usually begin our school work with Bible reading and CC memory work then move on to math and reading. We finish with read aloud time and then the boys work on their presentations for the week (they give an oral presentation each week at CC about a different subject).
  5. The afternoon is left for free time. They can play outside, play in the play room, or watch a movie (again it depends on the weather). They are all boys so they usually choose to play outside as much as possible.
  6. Since my boys are still so young our homeschool day isn't longer than about 2 hours (that is a long day for us...usually it is about 1 hour).
Mommy spends the afternoon catching up on laundry, blogging, reading, cleaning, or resting (I live with chronic pain from several illnesses so resting is part of my day whether I like it or not).
 
Head on over to heav.org to check out the speakers for this year's convention. It will be held on June 9, 10, and 11. Don't miss it! I will also be having a giveaway for a family convention pass some time in May. Be on the lookout!
 

 

 





1 comment:

Callie said...

This post was really encouraging to read. We are starting with homeschooling my oldest in the fall. It makes me nervous, mostly teaching him to read! This makes me think it won't be as hard as I am making it out to be in my head. I have heard of "Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons", and I am thinking we'll be picking that one up soon.