Tuesday, July 12, 2016

American Woman's Bible (Review)



I absolutely love history (my favorite subject to teach and study). I also love the Bible. So, when someone decided to combine the two I jumped on the opportunity to review it. The new American Woman's Bible (edited by Dr. Richard G. Lee and forward by Penny Nance) is all about combining the Bible with the women who have been influential in the making of America as well as Biblical virtues.

This Bible is the New King James Version. I prefer this version. It is easy to read and I grew up reading this version. It was edited to add tidbits about women throughout American history who have helped to mold this country in some way or another. There are also a few color pictures throughout.

As you read through this Bible, you come across a biography on Fanny Crosby, or an article about the Women of the American Revolution, quotes by some American women, or a small piece on Dorothea Lang (a famous photographer). Every page brings a new element.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through the pages. I was fascinated by the amount of women who assisted in forming this great country from early in history all the way to modern day. I am doing a further study into some of these women to learn more about each of them. I had not heard of a few of them and it really got me thinking about history.

In America, we hear a lot about all of the men who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom. We hear of the great wars, the triumphs, the losses, the heroes, the Presidents, and leaders. We don't hear much about the women who worked behind the scenes with these great men to accomplish what we have today. In this book, you will learn of the battles that women fought to bring freedom and justice to America. You will read about women who loved and served God without wavering in their faith when the odds were stacked against them. You will read of heroines who served this great country through wars and victory.

This Bible is for the history buff. There are so many great quotes that inspired me throughout. I plan to write them down so I can remember them in hard times. We are facing many changes in the USA. Some of them are great and some are grave. No matter where this country ends up, we know that God stands still and will always be constant and never-changing. What a great reminder as we head into adjustments in this country. God is in control.

*I was given this book by BookLookBloggers in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed here are solely my own.*

No comments: