Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Parenting by Paul David Tripp




Parenting is easily the most difficult task God has ever given me. It has molded me, transformed me, and made me very aware of my actions. But, through it all I know I am not alone. God is with me. He has given me an entire book to guide me along the way. The Bible talks a lot about parenting. God is our Heavenly Father and we should always be striving to be more like Him in every aspect of our lives. The principles in the Bible give us exactly the path in which to take in our parenting journey.

In Paul David Tripp's newest book, Parenting, he gives us 14 Gospel Principles that can radically change the family dynamic. Let's face it, I need all the help I can get in the parenting department. I fail every day. But, thankfully, God is gracious and merciful and so are my children.

Tripp's 14 Gospel Principles are:
  1. Calling
  2. Grace
  3. Law
  4. Inability
  5. Identity
  6. Process
  7. Lost
  8. Authority
  9. Foolishness
  10. Character
  11. False Gods
  12. Control
  13. Rest
  14. Mercy
God gives us a calling in our lives. Parenting is one of them. One of the most profound things I learned while reading Parenting was:


Wow! That hit me right in between the eyes. God is using ME to help form a human soul...my children. I am not worthy, yet He has given me this calling and I am willing.

Through the frustration and the busyness of life, God can use you to guide your children in the Gospel. God has given us the tools (via the Bible) in order to direct us in this calling. Parenting does not end when your children leave the nest either. It is just different. There will be different needs. But, you will always be your children's parent.

There is so much pressure to raise "good" children and give them "good" morals and values. It is so easy to lose sight of our ultimate goal as parents and that is raise Godly men and women. Equipping them to go out one day and face the world as an adult who is strong in their faith.

In this book, you will learn more about seeing what the goals are and how to accomplish them. What goals God has for you as a parent. Reading all of the parenting books in the bookstore isn't enough. God's love and grace and mercy are enough.

Our parenting styles are different but God is the same. His principles do not change. He wants us to have joy and purpose in our parenting. The words in this book have changed the way I think about parenting. I have become more aware of raising my children with the reasons God has given me and not just some advice from another book.

This is the prefect book for any parent (whether for 50 years or 50 seconds) and/or adult who has children in their life. You will find the true reasons for your calling as a parent and the many ways God can work in your life as you journey on.

*Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing me with this book. I received a sample product in exchange for this review. All opinions expressed here are solely my own.*

No comments: