Thursday, February 2, 2017

I'm Going to Give You a Bear Hug! (Caroline B. Cooney)


I love when I get to review children's books. My boys adore stories at bedtime. Each night we read a devotional and sometimes we read an extra book or two. We do most of our reading during the day since we homeschool. But, this new children's book by Caroline B. Cooney and illustrated by Tim Warnes is truly an adorable book.


I'm Going to Give You a Bear Hug! is such a sweet story about a boy and his mother. The boys loves his mother so much that he wants to give her all kinds of hugs. Each hug is a little different but they all mean love. The boys is getting ready for bed and wants to show his mom how much he cares about her.

The illustrations are so amazing. All three of my boys kept wanting to touch each page and didn't want to turn to the next. Their favorite page was the whale hug page. They thought it would be really cool to ride a whale at night.

One quote from my 8 year old: "I love this book so much. I want you to read it every night because it makes me feel good and sleepy."

As the story progresses the boy gets more and more sleepy. He even gets a bath in the middle of the book! By the end, he is being put to bed. This is a rhyming book as well. My boys caught on to that very quickly (since two of them are learning to read).

Here is a little excerpt from the whale hug page: "I'm going to give you a whale hug. A high tide, ocean wide, Take me for a sail hug." The boy is riding the whales back at night with the stars and moon shining brightly in the sky.

If you have children, nieces, nephews, grandchildren, or a friend's children in your life, go out and buy this book for Valentine's Day! It would make the perfect gift to show a child how much you care about them.

No comments: