Monday, February 20, 2017

Of Stillness and Storm (Michele Phoenix)



While this is not the type of book I would normally choose to review, I found it intriguing. Although there is some language and a sort of adultery, I found it okay. I would definitely not consider it very Christian. Just mentioning Jesus or God does not make a book "Christian". But, I did find it an interesting read.

Of Stillness and Storm is the newest novel by Michele Phoenix. I have not previously read any of her other books so this was my first. It is about a family where the husband feels extremely compelled to become a missionary to remote tribes in Nepal. He takes his wife and teenage son with him. Lauren and Sam find themselves under major trials while in Nepal. Their marriage suffers terribly and their son is depressed.

Sam decides to go into different tribes to "spread the Gospel" and leaves his wife and son for weeks at a time. This becomes a very large problem. When he is gone things get worse. His son tries to commit suicide and his wife meets a former boyfriend and they become close again.

Honestly, the storyline was intriguing but the whole book was a bit depressing. I felt frustrated many times with the characters. It definitely gave me a greater appreciation for missionaries. But it also made me really think that not everyone should be a missionary. This fictional family is a good representation of what can go wrong if only one person feels called to go and the rest are not in it. It can be heartbreaking.

Like I said, I did find the book interesting but a little depressing. It gives the harsh reality that missionary life isn't all love and happiness and peace. It is hard and dangerous and takes a toll on families. We need to be in constant prayer for all missionaries around the world.

*Many thanks to BookLookBlogger for gifting me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed here are solely my own.*

No comments: